PURAFINER DIESEL CONDITIONER
Purafiner – the effective modern way to treat and control microbiological contamination of fuel systems.
The contamination of distillate fuels, lubricating and hydraulic oils is now a common hazard and is well known worldwide. It is a serious threat to Marine Safety and responsible for extensive damage to marine, industrial and land transport machinery. The cost attributable to microbiological contamination of diesel fuel and hydrocarbon oils cannot be quantified.
The bacteria of a variety of types, both aerobic and anaerobic, produce organic acids, including sulphurous and sulphuric. These highly corrosive chemicals will cause severe degradation of storage tank coatings, corrosion of metal tank surfaces and injection equipment.
The effect of the microbiological contaminants on fuel injection equipment is to quickly impair performance and dramatically increase wear rates. This brings about poor combustion conditions, loss of engine power and reduced service life of components
The presence of microbiological bacteria causes fuel filter blockage through the growth of bacteria farms in the fuel filter medium. The bacteria colonies passing from the contaminated fuel tank become trapped by the filter element and create an improved environment for bacteria growth within the fuel.
The growth accelerates due to the colony’s ability to attract more bacteria passing from the tank together with the ability to utilise the nutrient and moisture contained in the fuel. This results in an increase in flow resistance and pressure drop across the filter, producing fuel depravation and rapid loss of engine performance.
Until now the most widespread method of dealing with microbiological contamination has been by the addition of a suitable biocide to the contaminated system. This method however, brings with its own problems.
- The proprietary brands of biocide are expensive.
- The biocide may kill of some of the bacteria strain, leaving others to enjoy an increase in growth rate and assume the ecological elevation previously prevented by bacteria strains now killed off.
- The biocide is highly toxic. It requires special procedures and extreme care in handling.
- Major oil companies have issued bulletins to their staff specifically instructing them that in no circumstances should they handle the biocide treatment or removal of material from a treated system.
- To be effective biocide treatment must be correctly applied with special care exercised to protect the health of the treatment operator.
- The cumulative effects of the toxic biocide on the engine are not known or stated.
- Nor is the level of environment damage created by passing the biocide through the engine and into the atmosphere.
- The treated biomass is still in the system and has either to be physically removed by cleaning or is left to be caught up in the normal filtration.
Now the use of Purafiner is replacing the old outdated practice of treatment with biocide. Purafiner is a proven means of treating and controlling microbiological contamination and growth without resorting to the use of toxic chemicals.
It is a method that has a number of established advantages.
- Low expenditure with no ongoing costs.
- Ease of installation.
- No toxic chemicals or waste to be concerned about.
- No maintenance requirements.
- Long operational life.
- Affects all types and levels of microbiological growth. It will however, have no effect on the biomass resulting from systems treated with biocide.
The unit is not a filter; it does not impede or reduce the passage of the fluid media. Its effect on the microbiological growth in the system is to break down the colonies into their individual size, enabling them to pass individually through the conventional filtration system to be consumed in the engine combustion cycle, inhibiting on going colonisation, allowing the contamination to migrate through the conventional filters, thus depleting the level of contamination in the storage tank.
The benefits of a Purafiner installation are numerous.
- Increased fuel filter life by the order of 10 or more.
- Eliminate the blockage of fuel lines.
- Reduced wear and tear on fuel injection equipment.
- Reduced damage to fuel tank coatings.
- Reduced corrosion in fuel storage systems.
- Elimination of coalescer malfunction.
- Improved combustion process with increased efficiency resulting in better engine performance and cleaner exhausts.
Today Purafiner units are installed in an extensive range of engines and systems in the marine, industrial and transport industries.
They are a proven success and have been endorsed by a multitude of users worldwide. Testimonials from marine, transport, mining, logging and other industrial users are available on request.
Scientific experimentation conducted on our behalf by The School of Ocean Sciences at The University of Wales at Bangor is available.
The results are a clear endorsement of our own research and fuel testing programs and are the result of ongoing work with marine underwriters and classification societies.
Through the activities of the scientists at The University of Wales we have gained a greater understanding of how Purafiner works and how it can best be utilised to give its most effective performance. We can help solve your problem with one of our standard production units ranging from1/4″ ports to 2.0″ ports for gravity or low pressure systems and specialised units capable of handling up to 3600 tonnes per hour.